AND THE STORY IS....

Ini cuma cerita, You may read it, You may not, yang pasti Aku cuma punya cerita

01 September 2007

[TOO] GREAT EXPECTATIONS

The title above seems to indicate that I’m referring to a movie back in 1998 – Great Expectations, starring (the kinda-still-famous) Gwyneth Paltrow and (the not-so-famous anymore) Ethan Hawke. Yes, I am referring to that movie, which basically is a story about a guy who fall in love with an ’unreachable’ woman (yep…ladies and gentlemen, that’s what we call great expectations! ☺). However, just because I am ‘inspired’ with the movie, I am not planning to write a review about it (since I couldn’t really remember much *putting my best honest look*).

If you guys don’t mind, please rewind the time to at least 10 years ago (this only applies to those who actually was a teen 10 years ago ;)). When we were young, most of us would have so many dreams and wants. And when we were young, some of us might found a way to get things that we want (or for some spoiled brats, they got it easily anyway). Picture this:

Lebaran, Christmas, and birthdays: if you want something, either you save your pocket money in your chicken bank (yes….Indonesian rarely keep a piggy bank ☺) and buy it yourself or you get it as a present (because you deliberately scream it out loud for people to know).

Then, we grew up..or should I say…the most-exciting-yet-traumatizing moment: being an adolescent. At this time, we [thought you] fell in love for the first time, had your first [so-called] relationship. And during these relationships, if we want something (let’s admit this), we still use the same formula – get it yourself or though not as loud as before, mention what you want (most of times just giving out hints). Let say, on your birthday you may want to get that Esprit shirt (bear with me, this is 10 years ago *wink*) or you want to get a call (first call) from your boyfriend (c’mon!just admit it!!). Actually, up until now I still don’t understand what’s the big deal of getting the first phone call from your boyfriend. Yes, I believe all of us simply puzzled by the idea. Some said because it means more special (???So in other words, if you don’t get the phone call, your b’day will not be special?), others said that it means those who give you ‘the first phone call’ (or whatever) really mean it and think of us as a special person. OK!I know I am getting even more confused (not to mention making you as confused as me).

As we reach our 20s (or mid 20s for me..hehehe), I can’t help but to wonder "Are we still using the same formula?". Expecting gifts, expecting first phone call (at this era, ‘first’ text message, email and Friendster testimonial also counts *wink*). Then, what happened if those expectations just slipped away? Mind your friends or best friends, but do you get really pissed off if your boyfriend was not the person who made the first phone call?

I know [once upon a time] I did. I also know some of you may have experienced the same (not trying to be the girl who knows all). When it happened, I couldn’t help to think that how could he forget my birthday? Then, it lead to other (yes…stupid) thoughts, like he did not make the effort and bla bla…Ironically, at the same time I felt that I was being completely childish. I began to think that my reaction was formed to what society and perhaps all these years habit of having ‘too great’ expectations? What happened to the fact that nobody is perfect? And that having ‘too great’ expectations mean that you put pressure to other people to be perfect for us. Or are we simply find it hard to actually grow up and pull away from all those ‘too great’ expectations? For the case of birthdays, maybe it’s time for us to make a new formula: let times roll without having ‘too great’ expectations and just let life pull its best surprises. Who knows…it will turn out even far better that your ‘old formula’ of ‘too great’ expectations (and if it doesn’t, have a good laugh until your belly hurts – and you add another memories to remember).

xo
-rie
[letting the times roll and surprise me..]

1 Comments:

  • At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I Think i have same a little moment like u...Riess
    can i find some body from the last past. My be know was 11 in 2008 year ...but i want i the moment that. Lucunya gw ketemu cuma sebentar tp punya kesan yang amt dalam (/-\) Weh ko gw yg curhatt ... HdIe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home